Lead Hydraulics Engineer - Phoenix
Part of a larger industrial group, this UKAS accredited engineering company operates on an international basis at the forefront of R&D testing in the aerospace, pharmaceutical, academic and automotive markets, designing and building unique and specialised equipment to support the next generation of materials and component testing. Phoenix offers a complete end-to-end service for the design, manufacture and installation of systems, with in-house mechanical, electronics, and software design, manufacturing and testing capabilities.
Our core values are Pride, Excellence, Innovation and Commitment.
Responsible to Operations Manager
Location Brierley Hill
Hours 07.30 – 16.30 Mon to Thurs, 07.30 to 13.30 Fri
Role Lead Hydraulics Engineer This hands-on position is responsible for managing the planning, scheduling and assembly of test machines to the agreed delivery dates, and resolving technical issues and constraints. The role requires competent people management and mechanical skills in order to co-ordinate shop-floor activities, with 2 Production Engineers and a Driver / Goods-in assistant reporting into the position.
The position reports into the Operations Manager and you will be supporting the exciting 3 year business plan that will double the size of the company, currently employing circa 30 staff and generating ~£2m sales. You must show that you are selfmotivated and driven, but above all else, be able to work with a small team where great service and commitment differentiates this emerging brand in its various market sectors.
You will have a high level of practical experience within a hydraulics based mechanical assembly environment, and be able to work with the other managers contributing to shop-floor output (i.e. software development, electronics design & production and mechanical design), as well as providing technical support to suppliers and customers.
- Assembly of precision mechanical frames and assemblies from 3D models and 2D drawings.
- Specifying, installing and commissioning hydraulic components and pipe-work to test frames.
- Organising own time, team time and resources (information, tools, materials, suppliers, customers) to complete tasks allocated by Line Manager to the required standard, schedule and budget.
- Providing technical support to suppliers, customers and internal staff.
- Ensuring maintenance of tools, equipment and work areas to the highest standard of workplace organisation.
- Responsibility for own and others health and well-being.
- In depth knowledge of hydraulic systems / circuits / components
- Ability to specify, install and test pipe-work and hoses
- Ability to assemble and test hydraulic circuits, actuators and manifolds
- Ability to fault find and correct hydraulic systems
- Measurement, specification and fitting of hydraulic seals
- Reading and understanding 3D models of mechanical assemblies and determining
- Operation of general workshop equipment
- People management experience
- Project management experience
- Ability to interpret electrical/electronic wiring schematics
- Experience of hydraulic test machines
- Familiar with a company offering bespoke/varied products
Personal characteristics and behaviours
- Effective communicator within the Company and with external customers and suppliers
- Polite and well presented with all staff, customers and suppliers regardless of role or level
- Self starter with the motivation to deliver high quality accurate output to a deadline and inspires others to do the same
- Able to work to an established quality management system and Company policies
- Works individually or leading a team, collaborating with colleagues throughout the Company in a positive and supportive role
- Able to take ownership of tasks, use own initiative to identify and complete tasks and resolve problems or issues as they arise
- Can do attitude
- Excellent attendance and timekeeping
- Embraces change and innovation in all aspects of work
- Actively engage in bringing forward ideas for improvements to processes, systems or products
- Demonstrates professionalism and integrity
To apply please send your CV to Stephanie.Hill@phoenixcalibration.co.uk.
Closing date for applications is Friday 30th June.