Head of Testing and Research - Phoenix
Phoenix have designed and built first in class test machines that are being used in our own research laboratory for long term testing programmes for blue chip customers. These tests are principally fatigue tests (LCF, HCF and TMF) at high temperature and in differing environments.
This role will lead those testing programmes from being responsible for the implementation of the tests through to discussing the results with the customers. This role will be responsible for taking corrective action and solving problems that may arise from the test procedures. Throughout this process, this role will ensure that the customer is fully briefed on the testing procedures, the results and the on-going actions arising from those results.
The successful applicant will have relevant technical experience but also be commercially aware, being able to identify potential opportunities for further testing or future testing requirements of the customer. Alongside working closely with the customer, the successful applicant will also work closely with our technical design team in understanding future testing requirements.
- Have a detailed knowledge of how the test machines operate so problems and issues with the testing can be resolved in a timely manner.
- Quickly establish an effective working relationship with the customers so they can discuss complex technical requirements/information on a peer to peer basis.
- Ensure we deliver a consistently high standard of customer service.
- To make a significant contribution to the growth and success of the business by delighting our customers and identifying further high specification testing needs.
- Setting up and running high accuracy tests on closed loop servo hydraulic test machines.
- Analysing and interpreting test results to identify and asses the influence of test set-up and / or sample behaviour.
- Own the day to day relationship with the customer.
- Communicate test results on a regular/agreed basis
- Have an in-depth knowledge of how each test machine works so issues can be identified and fixed on a timely basis.
- Submitting and presenting research papers to conferences
- Working with customers to specify test requirements
- Working with suppliers to source specialist parts to run the tests
- Working with colleagues to design new “first in class” test systems
- Responsible for writing of test schedules and plans, ensuring these are fully in line with customer demands and monitoring and evaluating at regular intervals
- Maintain physical condition of test laboratory, including keeping it tidy.
- Ensure day to day activities are being carried out to a high standard and in the achievement of all site KPI’s taking appropriate corrective action as necessary
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate management reports are completed.
- Adopt safe working practices in line with current company procedures and to undertake appropriate training in Health and Safety.
- Ensure compliance with our quality assurance system.
- Ensure your area is compliant with GDPR data protection rules.
- Ensure you fully engage in the performance management/appraisal process and have a personal current up to date Development Plan in operation at all times so that appropriate learning and development activities are undertaken for the role
- Use of instrumentation such as;
- DIC systems,
- Thermal imaging cameras,
- High temperature extensometers etc
- Strong mechanical background
- Strong analytical skills
- Problem solving
- Logical thinking
- Decision making
- Excellent inter-personal skills and communication both written and verbal
- Influencing skills both with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong focus on Customer Service
- Good ‘report writing’ skills
- Experience of budgeting and quoting for tests
RO Group Values:
- Be Innovative
- Be Brave
- Be Dependable
- Be Collaborative
- Be Encouraging
- Be A Family
- Be Responsible
Please email your CV to email@example.com or call 0121 514 0606 for more information.